Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Changes, Challenges and a New Year

Another year has come and gone. I finally accomplished my one sought after certification that I lusted after for so long, the CCNA. Like many others, I spent many days and nights studying, but it wasn't until meeting a fellow Network Engineer who was going for his CCIE and had an amazing study schedule did I truly understand what it meant to actually spend time studying.

I was "studying" for my CCNA for three years. I failed my first three attempts at my CCENT because I was too cocky, and had no schedule or plan. It wasn't until I lined out what areas I was weak in, spending the time on getting that nailed down, then moving on that I was able to truly benefit from all my studying. Creating a schedule and sticking to it was the best thing I ever did for myself and my study habits. If only I could have learned that back in High School.

After I finally got that lovely certification, I took a couple of months off from studying. Bad decision. It was rough getting back into the groove of studying. I have become complacent with where I am with my time and it is tough to get back into that studying mindset. Like most people, I'm making a New Year's resolution. I will begin the New Year with studying! How many times does that work though? None. I just need to go back to creating another schedule and sticking to it.

Towards the end of last year my role at work was shifted from "Wireless" to "Data Center." As much as I was beginning to enjoy Wireless, I felt like Data Center was where I needed to be. The Data Center team handles the virtual infrastructure. Needless to say, I needed to start studying up on my VMWare. Wow, was that something. I quickly started building a lab at home (well, broke it more so than built it). That's how you're supposed to learn, right? By doing?

Today, I was told that I am now being moved back to the Network side of the house. That will make the fourth role change in two years since I moved up to become a Network Engineer: Telecom, Wireless, Data Center, and now Network. I love the network side of the house, but I was starting to enjoy the virtual side. I will keep my lab going strong!

With the changing of my roles so often I think that it is safe to say that there is a need for Engineers out there that have the ability to pick up more than one role, and be well versed in it. Not only with each shift in a new job, but also within each changing moment in the day. You never know when those desktop days may come in handy! I find myself doing other roles during the day because of my past lives. It is always good to have more than that one skill to rely on.

Through all of the role changes and challenges through my past certification experience, I plan to move forward and create new certification goals for this year. My first one will be the VMWare VCP-NV. I know that I am no longer on the Data Center team, but I believe that is a good skill to have with everything moving to virtual infrastructure. After that, I plan on moving on with my Cisco certifications and going for the CCNP Route. Route is not my strong suit, but I feel like this will be the better option for my career.

So, on to a New Year, with more certifications and more learning for all!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your accomplishments and reaching your goals! 2016 was a tough year for lots of people, great to see you celebrating the good! I finally earned my MA in Comm (six year effort!) as well, so I'm calling 2016 a success. May 2017 be even more productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. Alphabet soup and all. Brad

    ReplyDelete